Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Is there anything else I can take apart?... Not much.

Iroh is pretty well stuck where she is at. I've removed the front suspension and soon the steering column will come too, to make room for the new suspension cross-member, suspension, and rack and pinion steering. I tried to put the frame all on jack stands but as my stands are too short even at the tallest height the truck would still sit higher had it been still on it's wheels. I actually couldn't put the jack stands on the frame in the back because the rear differential dropped too low, and the jack wouldn't come out from under it. So those stands got put under the rear end. I'll be preparing the frame for the cross-member, some areas need to be flattened, and it needs to be ground down to be welded.
Just as a side note as I'm thinking about it, I purchased a "Wel-bilt" Universal engine stand/rolling dolly, to hold my 454 as it waits its turn for installation. I don't want to have to become a member of the "Northern Tools and Equipment" website to write a review, but it sucks. The bolt holes were close to where they should be to bolt the motor on but they were off just far enough that we couldn't. We got the engine to mount on there but it worries me because only about half the bolts made it in. So don't waste your money you could probably build you're own better, this isn't to dis "Wel-bilt" their creeper I bought is nice but the engine dolly... no.
Anyways moving on... still slowly making progress on Iroh's fenders at school. I seem to be adding a fair amount of weight with the tail light housings but that's okay, it will just help push the rear tires into the ground. One of the front fenders saw some epoxy but a few other dents and maybe some finer sanding is in its future. Straightening, and filler work has started on the rear fenders so hopefully they too will be straightened out and see epoxy soon too.
 right rear fender, other fender saw fiber glass today but no pics yet. 
Left front fender

No comments:

Post a Comment