Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pure Gold

The day was June 12, 2010 when I bought my truck. A 1955 Chevy half ton short box second series pickup. The history of the truck was short. The original owner gave the truck to his son, who sold it to his son-in-law for $50, from whom I acquired the truck I now call Iroh. Iroh is more of a guy's name but I will often refer to the truck as a she, it is just how it goes. Even though this truck went through three generations before it got to me, it was only driven for 7 years. The clutch went out in 1962 and Iroh was parked. I have the '62 plates that I removed from the plate brackets when I brought it home. I paid a total of $2500 for the truck and all the parts Don (the guy I bought it from) had. These parts include, newly chromed bumpers, and grille. the original radiator and gas tank had been cleaned out, new stainless steel taillights, new oak wood cut for the bed, weather stripping and the list went on.
(This is how she sat on the back porch where I picked her up. We tore down a fence to get her out.)
Since the transmission wasn't in, neither were the brakes, we trailered Iroh home. That probably didn't surprise you after seeing the picture. We were about to roll the truck off the trailer when I noticed the back tire had split open and the inner tube was bulging through. It proceeded to go off with a bang when it rolled over it. I finally had my dream truck in the driveway, I just had a lot of work ahead of me. Which I still do, I'm just trying to catch up to where I am now. I love my truck.
Next time I'll let you know more of the condition it was all in, some of what I have done so far and what some of my plans are for Iroh.

No comments:

Post a Comment